IREM® Certified Sustainable Property
The city of Houston has partnered with the Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM) to offer a property-level green building certification. The IREM®Certified Sustainable Property program provides a pragmatic path to efficient operations for property and facility managers. The property-level certification is open to all industry professionals and is accessible to most properties.
Real estate professionals who pursue IREM®'s Certified Sustainable Property for their properties will:
- Increase education and identify efficiency opportunities
- Implement low/no cost projects
- Perform the cost-benefit analysis for larger capital projects
- Engage owners and tenants in sustainability
- Improve property marketability
Earning the Certification
To get certified, complete at least 20 of 24 possible core activities in IREM®'s Sustainable Property Challenge program. To learn more, view the details.
IREM®'s Certified Sustainable Property is available to all industry professionals and includes all property types, excluding single family homes. To be eligible for the program, a property must:
- Comply with environmental laws
- Be an existing, permanent building of at least 1,000 square feet
- Be at least 50% occupied
- Commit to anonymously sharing utility consumption data with IREM®Sustainability
- Operate a smoke-free building
Fast Track for LEED Certified Buildings
Properties that have already obtained LEED EB or NC certification are eligible to "fast track" about half of the core activities.
Complete the following steps to become an IREM®Certified Sustainable Property:
- Login to GreenPSF (or sign up)
- Add your property
- Enroll in IREM®'s Sustainable Property Challenge
- Complete 20 of 24 core activities (12 required + 8 elective)
- Apply for the certification by submitting your property for review
A program manager will review your submission and validate that each activity was created correctly after you apply. When successful, you will receive a certificate of completion, a physical plaque and marketing collateral.
Complete steps 1-4 above. When ready to apply, follow the instructions to pay the application fee: $1,000 for IREM®members and $1,500 for non-members.
Questions and Feedback
For information about IREM®'s Certified Sustainable Property program, please contact:
Sustainability Program Manager
Institute of Real Estate Management
430 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611